Tomoko Makidono received an MA in South Asian Area Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and an M. Litt. in Sanskrit Language and Literature from Kyoto University, Japan. She is currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Hamburg under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Dorji Wangchuk. The tentative title of her PhD thesis is “A Contribution to the Understanding of the Practice Lineage in Indo-Tibetan Madhyamaka.” Her main research interests lie in the practice lineages (sgrub brgyud) of what is known as Madhyamaka of Extrinsic Emptiness (gzhan stong dbu ma), particularly as found in the writings of Kaḥ-thog-dge-rtse Mahāpaṇḍita (1761–1829). She is also interested in devotional forms of Buddhism in general, including the Buddhist concepts of Pure Land across South and East Asia. From September 2008 to September 2009 she conducted field research in Nepal, and since then went several times back for shorter periods of field research.
- 2012. “The Turning of the Wheel of Mantrayāna Teachings in the Rnying ma rgyud 'bum dkar chag lha'i rnga bo che by Kaḥ thog Dge rtse Mahāpaṇḍita 'Gyur med tshe dbang mchog grub.” Indian International Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. 13, 2012, pp. 149-186.
- 2011. “Kaḥ thog Dge rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s Doxographical Position: The Great Madhyamaka of Other-Emptiness (gzhan stong dbu ma chen po).” Indian International Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. 12, pp. 77–119.
- 2011. “An Entrance to the Practice Lineage as Exemplified in Kaḥ thog Dge rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s Commentary on Sa skya Paṇḍita’s Sdom gsum rab dbye.” Revue d’Etudes Tibétaines, vol. 22, November 2011, pp. 215–242.
- 2011. “Nāgārjuna’s six-syllabled mantra oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ in the bsTan ’gyur: A Text and a Translation of the Āryalokeśvaraśaḍakṣarasādhana.” Acta Tibetica et Buddhica, vol.4, pp. 1–22.
- 2011.“Emptiness versus Tathāgatagarbha: The Tibetan recipients of the Tathāgatagarbha-sūtras and the Prajñāpāramitā-sūtras considering what is empty and what is not empty from the gzhan-stong perspective.” A Paper presented at the 16th Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, Dharma Drum Buddhist College, Taiwan.
- 2011. Tomoko Makidono. “Kaḥ-thog dGe-rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s commentary on lCang-skya rol-pa’i-rdo-rje’s Song of the View of Madhyamaka.” A Paper presented at the 16th Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies,” Dharma Drum Buddhist College, Taiwan.
- 2010. “Kaḥ-thog dGe-rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s presentation of the Turning of the Wheel of the Teachings of the Resultant system of Mantra (’bras bu gsang sngags kyi chos ’khor bskor) in the rNying ma rgyud ’bum dkar chag.” Paper presented at the 12th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Vancouver.
- 2009. “Kaḥ-thog dGe-rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s Commentary on Sa-skya Paṇḍita’ssDom gsum rab dbye.” Paper presented at the Second International Seminar of Young Tibetologist, Paris.
- 2008. “Kaḥ-thog dGe-rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s view of Great Madhyamaka of Other-Emptiness.” Paper presented at the 15th Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, Atlanta.
- 2006. “The Maṇi bka’ ’bum, and Dissemination of the Six-syllabled mantraoṃ maṇi padme hūṃ.” Paper presented at the 11th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Königswinter.
- 2005. “The lost Veda and the horse-headed One: Implications of the scriptural revelation in a Tibetan treasure text, Maṇi bka’ ’bum.” Paper presented at the 14th Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, London.